I decided that the followup to the backpack is going to be a ski jacket. Because the fabrics will be much more expensive than anything else I’ve worked with, I’ve made a muslin mockup first. Ideally, having made the mockup will help prevent any obvious mistakes when I move on to the real thing. The cotton muslin turned out to be something of a pain in its own right as it’s very light and frays easily.

The size is approximately a men’s medium and fits well, but only as a thin shell. There isn’t a ton of mobility allowed when wearing anything other than a t-shirt, and this isn’t the full-weight fabric with a liner. The real version will have to be sized up to accommodate layers properly.

I used the Fairbanks pattern from Green Pepper with modifications so that it’s no longer a pullover. This primarily meant extending a zipper down the center and adding a breast pocket.

The real jacket I am planning will be much more complicated than this mockup. I intend on adding a full mesh and taffeta liner, pit zips, powder skirt, hand warmer pockets, inner pockets, and a larger hood to accommodate a helmet. I’ve ordered a few sets of swatches from Seattle Fabrics and Ripstop By The Roll to get a sense of waterproof fabric options. The ideal fabric I’m imagining is waterproof/breathable and has a sturdy feel to it.

Tracing the pattern pieces to a second sheet of paper. Tomato cans make great paper weights.
Tracing the pattern pieces to a second sheet of paper. Tomato cans make great paper weights.
Right arm attached to the front and backs of the main body.
Right arm attached to the front and backs of the main body.
Finished.
Finished.

I really left out a lot of complexity with this mockup by foregoing the liner and not testing all the details like the hems and cuffs. Hopefully it will be representative enough to mess up thee real thing too much.